A Short History of Lacombe Evangelical Free Church
When Ken (a jeweler) and Verna Jardine moved to Lacombe in 1939, they felt the need for a local evangelical gospel witness. They, with others, started to meet for evening services and Bible studies in the former Oddfellows Hall (upstairs above what is now H&R Block on 50 Street). Mr. Jardine, along with guest speakers, led the work.
Gospel Outreach 1939 to 1942
First Church Service
As the fellowship grew, they moved to a building where Leto’s Restaurant is now located. Reverend Bob Simpson from Ontario was called to be the Pastor. The first official church service was held during a terrible blizzard on November 15, 1942. There were only 8 people present.
Soon, the growing congregation felt the need to have its own building. Ken Jardine purchased the building, now housing ‘The Fishers of Men Food and Clothing Bank’ for $200. Enthusiastic volunteers turned the old chop mill into a Church named “Calvary Tabernacle” – affiliated with Fellowship of Gospel Churches.
1944 – 1964
Notes taken from an early Bulletin:
Like other congregations which share our heritage, we have roots in spiritual awakenings – last century in Europe’s Lutheran and Reformed Churches, and this century in Western Canada. Today you will find us a melting pot of people from widely different backgrounds, united in Christ.
This church group held branch Sunday Schools in the districts of Iowalta, Meadowbrook, Dakota, Pleasant Hills, Satinwood and Wolfville during the years. Volunteers often picked up children for Sunday School.
In 1956, the Fellowship of Gospel Churches affiliated with the Evangelical Free Church of America. The Lacombe congregation voted to join and its name was changed to “Calvary Evangelical Free Church”.
After several renovations and additions, Pastor John Martens and congregation decided a new and larger building was necessary. This is the present building, erected in 1964, on C&E Trail. In 1982, a new front addition was added containing offices, nursery, larger foyer and meeting rooms.
1982 – 2015
In 2014, a wind, rain and hail storm significantly damaged the west side of the church. After some fundraising, we hired contractors to repair the damage and update the windows and the look of our building. A short time later, a lighted cross was added to the side.
Our church today.
What does God have in store for us next? Join us and help us find out!